Other places to find legal help and information:
South Dakota’s free legal information resources
www.statebarofsouthdakota.com provides a listing of other available legal resources.
Another great resource is www.ujslawhelp.sd.gov a project of the South Dakota Unified Judicial System to provide information for and guidance to pro se litigants. This site has individual webpages for protection order assistance, family law support, and information for veterans and active military personnel.
Legal aid programs in South Dakota
They give free legal help. Mostly they help people whose income is low for a family of that size. Sometimes they help people no matter how much they make. They don’t take criminal cases, only cases that you yourself can’t go to jail for.
Need a free lawyer? Call one of these offices near you.
- Dakota Plains Legal Services
- East River Legal Services - call 1-800-952-3015
- Access to Justice, Inc.
If you need to hire an attorney, find a local one at:
- South Dakota Lawyer Referral Services - a Lawyer Referral Service for South Dakota
You may find legal help and information at these places:
Need help with food, clothing, shelter, medicine or other services?
Other helpful agencies:
- ACLU of South Dakota (civil rights protection, including LGBT, racial, religious, reproductive, voting)
- Lutheran Social Services (adoption services, re-entry programs, and immigration services)
- Disability Rights South Dakota (formerly South Dakota Advocacy Services assists clients with physical, mental, and developmental disabilities) or call 1-800-658-4782
- USD School of Law Federal Tax Clinic
- South Dakota Network Against Family Violence and Sexual Assault (Find a Shelter, Safety Alerts, Resources)